Job Location: Washington DC Area
The Director of Facilities has overall responsibilities for the planning, organizing and management of the maintenance, grounds, housekeeping, laundry and security and transportation departments; responsible for all building systems, capital improvement and construction projects, preventative maintenance, utilities, safety and vehicle and equipment maintenance.
- Provides for an effective structure in which sound business principles and ethical practice are the foundation for decision making and the day to day operations.
- Looks ahead and anticipates the future consequence of action and inaction. Uses insights and experience in health care and continuing care in creating comprehensive strategies and plans.
- Manages complex situations effectively and quietly.
- Prioritizes the “critical” and puts aside the trivial. Sets priorities and consistently completes plans and achieves goals in a timely and accurate way.
- Is dedicated to understanding and addressing the needs and expectations of residents. Speaks and acts with them in mind.
- Establishes and maintains effective relationships with residents. Earns their trust and respect. Values their opinions and personal interest in the community.
- Represents the needs of the staff, recognizing the importance in fulfilling the mission.
- Ensures continuous quality improvement in operations, programs and services. Is open to new ideas and suggestions. Develops efficient and effective work processes and exhibits sound judgment.
- Responsible for the establishment, implementation and ongoing evaluation of the standards and policies for the programs of the Facilities Department consisting of Maintenance, Grounds, Painting, Housekeeping, Laundry, Security, Transportation and Fire Safety.
- With CFO, responsible for the development and updating capital replacement program addressing buildings, major equipment and systems and property.
- Responsible to implement the strategic plan as it applies to the Facilities Department.
- Responsible for developing a yearly operational budget for the Maintenance, Grounds, Painting, Housekeeping, Laundry, Security and Transportation departments.
- Assure compliance with current CARF standards, covering area of responsibility.
- Meet with all other depmiment directors within the community to assure communication across department lines.
- Sensitive to the needs of the aging population
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Facilities Management or related field.
- Background including budgeting, personnel management, and construction management (and LEED certified is preferred).
- Minimum seven years experience managing the physical plant of a health care facility, CCRC or equivalent.
- Familiarity with integrated computer systems and general knowledge of Microsoft Office programs.
- Knowledge of fire, safety and security systems, codes and regulations
- Experience in reading and interpretation of plans and specifications and understanding related building and physical plant documents.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, and proven ability to relate well with staff, residents and visitors understanding of and sensitivity to the needs of the older adult.
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the position, i.e. bend, stand, stoop, climb and lift.