Employer/Location: Adventist Health – Clear Lake, CA
The Supervisor of Nutrition Services is responsible for ensuring the effectiveness and efficiency of all departmental operations involving service to patients, café customers, and catering guests. The position is accountable for supervision of service personnel, adherence to departmental budgets, assisting in the development, review and revision of policies and procedures. In addition the position copartners and coordinates with the Executive Chef on staffing, quality assessment, improvement, and ensuring compliance with all regulatory bodies, including state, federal, and joint commission.
Duties and Responsibilities
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. These are not be construed as a complete list of all job duties and functions.
- Coordinate and prepare departmental communication to staff members, departments and the organization.
- Assists and prepares communication on community events in collaboration with the Director of Community Wellness.
- Works as assigned in the development of long term organizational goals and objectives, improving departmental overall quality and serves as the Project Manager.
- Evaluates and addresses health, maintenance and safety practices in the department as well as overall facility objectives and initiatives. This includes periodic audits of the department reviewing safety practices, sanitation, storage of supplies, temperature control and HACCP flows of food items.
- Works to review systems inside the department and revise design models and management practices related to internal processes.
- Review standards and implements staff training materials including guides, in-service procedures, training review and record keeping associated with staff training exercises.
- In collaboration with the Executive Chef, develop and implement employee engagement/”IMPACT” plan to develop and encourage staff job satisfaction and motivation.
- Work directly with the Executive Chef in development and implementation of menu plans for retail, catering and patient care.
- In coordination with the Executive Chef organize supply requisition and ordering process. Create inventory maps and par levels and process orders in conjunction with the Chef.
- Review and maintain departmental budgets in direct coordination with the Executive Chef, including forecasting, planning and regular review of departmental standing.
- Coordinate and review day to day, weekly staffing with the Executive Chef. Develop staff schedules, schedule flexing and overall budgetary compliance.
- In conjunction with the Executive Chef requisition positions as needed, interview, hire and on-board new departmental members.
- In conjunction with the Executive Chef implement and maintain a “Room Service” concept patient dining experience. Objectives include task list duties as assigned, communication within the organization, implementation of processes, training of staff members and auditing/coaching of initiated processes.
- Report as required departmental standings, financial and staff documentation in alignment with the organization’s standards of practice. In addition coordinate all reporting with the Executive Chef and Director over Nutrition Services.
- Coordinate with the Executive Chef to conduct employee evaluations, corrective action plans and overall staff documentation as required.
- Assures cash handling policies and practices are compliant and followed.
- Responds effectively to patient, internal/external customer issues and resolve complaints timely and with best standards consistent with service recovery guidelines.
- Works directly with the Executive Chef to assure a fluid and conjoined system of staff supervision and management is in place to assure production, quality, cost control, engagement, policies and procedures are managed with a unified “team” approach.
Education and Experience
- Associates Degree in management practices, food and nutrition or other related field.
- Three years direct management and supervisory experience.
- Healthcare experience preferred but not mandatory.
- State issued food handlers card and Serve Safe education required. If candidate does not hold these credentials the candidate will have 90 days to ascertain the above noted credentials from date of employment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to manage a diverse environment with a consistent focus on patient centered care and customer service.
- Ability to identify defects in production, preparation and food service processes and to correct and implement control procedures.
- Ability to provide visionary leadership to the department, while supporting the overall mission of Adventist Health.
- Must possess the ability to communicate effectively with customers, support staff and fellow leadership members.
- Ability to respond effectively to changing organizational and departmental needs and support a managed process of support and implementation.