Employer/Job Location: Susan B. Allen Hospital / El Dorado, KS
Facility: Susan B Allen Hospital
Coordinates and directs the activities of cooks and other kitchen personnel engaged in preparing and cooking foods to ensure an efficient and profitable food service. Participates in menu development, food production, food presentation, and service standards for all the hospital food service venues while monitoring food and supply costs, labor and culinary staff training and equipment maintenance. Works in conjunction with Registered Dieticians to create meals that are nutritionally appropriate for patients and customers. Diligently demonstrates SBAMH’s Standards of Behavior when interacting with patients, staff, physicians, volunteers, students, and the community.
1. Assists with managing patient food service, Meals on Wheels, catering events and café service.
2. Purchases food and supplies for the department and maintains records of purchases.
3. Receives deliveries and checks invoices against orders for accuracy of extensions and totals.
4. Maintains order and flow of goods in storeroom, freezer and refrigerators. Monitors temperatures utilizing available resources.
5. Works with Registered Dietician to standardize recipes. Assist in developing nutritionally adequate meals for inpatient therapeutic diets, Meals-On-Wheels clients and others, as needed.
6. Assists supervisors in ensuring sanitation and safety standards are being followed.
7. Instructs employees in use, care and maintenance of equipment.
8. Participates in the process of interviewing and making recommendations on staff performance and other actions affecting employees, in accordance with hospital policies, rules and regulations. Participates in employee annual evaluations.
9. Teaches culinary skills to all staff.
10. If needed, fills-in as a cook or other dietary position.
11. Make adjustments to the schedule due to illness, etc. in the absence of the Supervisor.
12. Serves customers, fellow employees and co-workers with courtesy and respect.
13. Assists in day-to-day management of the department, in cooperation with leadership.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Must have knowledge of employee relations, ethics, food sanitation, safety, food and labor laws, housekeeping procedures, and accepted food service techniques. Must be familiar with basic principles of nutrition as related to menu planning, large-scale purchase and preparation of food, high standards of food service, and basic principles of supervision. Required for completely satisfactory performance in this job is the ability to operate Microsoft Office and other food service software that analyzes recipes. Initiative and judgment needed in assigning tasks, delegating responsibility and resolving operational problems, to maintain efficient standards of operation.
High School Diploma or GED required, Associates Degree or equivalent from a 2-year college in Culinary, Hotel/Restaurant or Food Service related area of study preferred.
Five (5) years in food service operations preferred, that includes line cooking and quantity food production, as well as catering and retail sales. Emphasis on health and scratch cooking ideal.
Servsafe certified to teach.
Code Blue Training:
A minimum training level of BLS is required, and will be made available post hire.